Saturday, 5 February 2011

Dumbarton show resilience to win again

This article first appeared as the match report on the official DFC website.

Dumbarton survived a second half revival from Alloa Athletic in Clackmannanshire, triumphing 3-2 to record their first consecutive wins of the season and lift themselves of the foot of the Second Division.

Following their defeat by the Sons at SHS three weeks ago, Alloa started brightly on home turf. Stuart Noble had an immediate effort that flashed just past Stephen Grindlay’s upright.

Dumbarton’s first strike was a Jon McShane free kick, but that went well wide. Sons started to move the ball around confidently, but Alloa pushed back with determination - Grindlay diving to turn away a firm close-range header on 14 minutes.

Mark Gilhaney struck well but just off target for Dumbarton following some inventive playmaking by Pat Walker. Both teams worked hard to grasp control of the game. The ball bobbled tantalisingly on the Wasps’ goal line when Ben Gordon headed in and a scramble ensued.

Andy Geggan created two more near chances for Dumbarton, but Alloa also ran close with a rasping shot past Grindlay’s near post in a frantic spell of the match approaching the half hour.

Then Dumbarton pounced skillfully and swiftly on 33 minutes, with Walker slotting home from a well-created build up and a good recovery from Jordan Halsman, who slipped just before threading through the final ball. Sons almost conceded moments later, as the heavens briefly opened, but the score remained 1-0 at the end of the first half.

Nine minutes into the second period, Dumbarton made it 2-0. A long ball found Mark Gilhaney on the wing, and his sweeping cross was converted with a deft flick by McShane.

Kevin Motion hit back rapidly, through a free kick for the home side on 64 minutes, to make it 2-1. But Sons pushed back once more, with Gilhaney having another good shot turned away by Alloa ‘keeper Stephen Robertson.

However on 71 minutes Wasps’ substitute Bryan Puntry headed his team level at 2-2, with Noble almost making it three moments later. Unbowed, Dumbarton countered with a sweetly struck free kick on the edge of the area by Ryan McStay. 3-2 to Sons.

The game lurched back and forth in the closing stages, with Sons surviving a desperate goalmouth tussle on 82 minutes and ex-Dumbarton man Michael Dunlop going close for Alloa with a header. But Sons held on to record a second vital victory within a week and climb off the foot of the table.

No comments: