Friday 8 August 2008

A good start for Barrow

Great to see that my namesakes have made an excellent start in the Blue Square Premier (a.k.a the Conference) with a convincing 3-0 win against Oxford United, who went down to ten men at the end of the first half. The U's form was down last season, after they blew the chance of promotion the year before in the play-off semi against my home city side, Exeter City, when they had looked dead certs to go up. It's going to be a hard road to recovery in the post-Jim Smith era. For the Bluebirds, meanwhile, this game was just the shot in the arm they needed, with most people predicting that they will struggle to stay up. Barrow's debut was a match I'd have loved to have got to. But making it up to Holker Park is a massive trek by public transport for me. So I'm contemplating Cambridge or Torquay away later in the season. Or, indeed, Oxford.
[Picture (c) North West Mail]
-----------

No comments: