Sunday 29 June 2008

Hoping Spain can reign

I'm not going to predict a Spanish victory tonight, but like the millions who will be watching, I hope that the final of Euro 2008 is a fitting climax to what has been (after a bit of a slow start) a fabulous tournament. Sad that Scotland were so near yet so far to getting there. But England haven't been missed, despite attempts by the BBC to make their absence the defining issue. Gary Lineker (pictured, trying to look wry) famously quipped that "football is a game involving two teams, in which the Germans eventually win on penalties." I don't think that will be the outcome tonight. But I could well end up saying, as I have many times before, "what do I know?" Or you, or anyone, for that matter. Which is one of the things that makes it a great game. A beautiful one in Vienna, too, we'd all like to say on a balmy evening.
-------------

No comments: