Wednesday 17 October 2007

The agony of Scotland

So here I am, watching Scotland's crucial Euro-qualifier away in Georgia on BBC2. The runes looked good, with England being dumped 2-1 by Russia. But as I write, we're 1-0 down and appearing pretty shaky - victims, too, of an appalling (non) penalty decision against magic McFadden. The irrational thought enters my mind that I'm a one-person bad luck conductor. It seems that every time I fail to witness Scotland (as with both France games), they win. But now that I am perched in front of the telly, swigging tea and chewing my nails... But now is not the time for negativity. 'Mon Scotland!

19.24: Oh woe, 2-0 to Georgia. This is too awful. But I did say that it was going to be an uphill task, and I didn't change my mind after the fantastic 3-1 win over Ukraine. 19.33: Beattie really should have got his header on target. Doesn't look like it's going to be our night, with 15 mins to go. Only one shot on target, and that from a dead-ball situation. 19.36: On the TV, former Scotland manager Craig Brown is reminding us that six first-team choices are injured. Which is true, but no comfort. 19.46: Three-and-a-half minutes to go. Well, that's it. G'night.

No comments: