Friday 28 January 2011

The view from the bridge

There's a great article in issue 25 of the Scottish Football League Newsletter (just published) about Sons View supremo Graeme Robertson, to whose blue pencil I am obliged when I write my regular 'Near Post' columns and other contributions. It's entitled '202 not out for Dumbarton and their Programme Editor'.

In his interview, Graeme reflects on a decade for Dumbarton at the Rock (a.k.a the Strathclyde Homes Stadium) following our departure from Boghead Park, then the oldest football ground in Britain. He, in turn, has been at the Sons View helm for two decades, and will soon have edited over half the home programmes Dumbarton have ever produced - the first was a friendly versus Stockport County in 1968, though there are aways going back to the 1920s.

Over the years, Sons have played some famous sides on home turf. The likes of Celtic and Rangers, of course, but also Manchester United in a testimonial for Alex Wright on 8 April 1991. However, Graeme still has a longing for a visit Liverpool. He tells the SFL Newsletter : “I have a huge soft spot for them as they were my English team when I was growing up in the 70s. I would love them to come here and be able to do a programme for that game. The closest we have come was Middlesbrough in the summer of 2009 and they were fantastic visitors.”

Oh, and the picture above was taken by me as a by-product of triple-tasking: selling Sons View at half-time, taking some pictures, and updating a match report. In an odd way, it works.
-------------

No comments: