Saturday, 29 January 2011

Sons prove no match for Brechin

This article was first published as Dumbarton outplayed as Brechin win 2-1 and then adapted as the match report on the official  DFC website.

Sons move out of defence
Brechin City comfortably claimed three points from Dumbarton this afternoon, running out 2-1 winners on a cold and cheerless day at SHS.

The visitors from Angus looked sharp around the box when they broke through early on, with David MacKenna side-footing over the bar from a central position towards the edge of the area on 9 minutes.

Rory McAllister had three further attempts on goal for Brechin just after the quarter hour, as Dumbarton struggled to gain control of the game in the middle of the park.

Then, as Sons came back, Mark Gilhaney, working hard out of defensive midfield, flashed a sweeping shot just past Craig Nelson's far post. But the Hedgemen struck back immediately. As the Dumbarton defence hesitated from a corner on 21 minutes, Dougie Hill leapt up to head Brechin 1-0 in front.

It could have been two by the half hour. Exposed Sons 'keeper Stephen Grindlay had to pull off a good double save after a skewed shot bounced back to the feet of McAllister, who should have buried it. Andrew Cook also failed to capitalise on a huge amount of space granted to him as he turned on goal minutes later.

As the second half got underway, Sons' new Motherwell loanee Jordan Halsman replaced Craig McLeish - while Cook blazed over again from the corner of the box for Brechin, as he steamed onto a sharply angled cross, unmarked.

On the hour Dumbarton's Martin McNiff received a red card for an infringement in the area. But Grindlay dived low to deny McAllister's penalty effort, before shielding out the rebound attempt.

Down to ten men, Sons seemed to take momentary heart from their reprieve, but Brechin pressed remorselessly, passing the ball with fluency as Dumbarton wheeled back.

The visitors' second goal came on 72 minutes as Craig Molloy struck the ball firmly beyond Grindlay's dive after yet another wave of attacks.

On 87 minutes, Mark Gilhaney struck back for Sons with a well-worked, well-taken and well-deserved solo effort. In the end it turned out to be a consolation, with only Brechin's over elaborate build-ups and missed chances sparing Sons a larger margin of defeat.

With Peterhead winning this afternoon, the 2-1 defeat leaves Dumbarton staring towards February firmly rooted to the bottom of the table.

No comments: