Tuesday 10 March 2009

Mad March momentum

Yes indeed. This is the kind of March that can turn a football fan's head just a little bit too far, one way or the other. Let's hope we stay calm on the bridge, while all around are losing theirs...

Sons take on Elgin City at the Rock this evening. After a much needed win over menacing Albion Rovers on Saturday, a home victory this evening would put Dumbarton back into contention for the Third Division title... just. If we win our game in hand over Cowdenbeath and don't drop any more howlers we will find ourselves just four points away from them, following the Blue Brazil's [who are they kiddin'?] surprise defeat at the weekend.

When I wrote my programme note for the Wee Rovers game, it looked as if we were staring at a 10 point deficit, and frankly it's been appearing 'game over' as far as the champions spot is concerned for some time - though I have always maintained that Sons will be in the play-offs in May '09. But it only takes a couple of results to render the pundit wrong, wrong, wrong. Today I'm feeling optimistic again. In a few hours time that could have changed once more. Meanwhile, the games keep on coming. I find myself 8,000 miles away from SHS at the moment, but I'll be there for Annan Atheletic on 21 March.

Dumbarton: simply the best... at dragging you along by the heart strings ... and then? Ach, we'll see. 'Mon Sons.

As for my locals Exeter City, well they are right in the League Two promotion mix, and having beaten Luton Town on Saturday need three points against Bournemouth tonight to keep the pressure up. St James' Park is where I would be if I was at home. As it is, I will be sitting in New York typing my programme note for the Bradford City match this weekend. And enjoying a beer.
-------------

No comments: