Wednesday 13 February 2008

Not justice, but football

If it's possible to thrash your opponents 2-2, that's what happened last night. Exeter City dominated Woking for much of the Blue Square Premier clash at St James' Park. They went in 2-0 up at half time. They played some flowing, attractive and entertaining football. But they did not translate the natural advantage into goals, and Woking took the two chances they managed to engineer very well. So a disappointing result (definitely two points dropped, rather than one gained), but a highly entertaining game. To add to the woe for many, former Grecians striker Jamie Mackie, who recently ascended three divisions to join ECFC's mortal enemies Plymouth, got a brace of goals on his debut for Argyll. Good job my programme column was about post-Munich peace, love and understanding. ;)

Usually when I am watching a match down here I'm also keeping an eye on how Dumbarton are doing up in Scotland, with text message updates from Denise Currie (thanks, D). Things are a bit grim for the Sons at the moment, and I admire the fans who continue to stick with it. I wish I could be there more, though I should count myself lucky to be getting what is almost certainly a rather better football diet week-in and week-out right now. Let's hope manager Jim Chapman gets the new players integrated and begins to find a formula soon, in prepration for next season (realistically).

Still, I'm very much looking forward to being back at the Rock at the end of March, when I'll be co-sponsoring the match against Stranraer to celebrate my five decades on the planet, four-fifths of which have been as a DFC fan. How time flies when you're having fun! On 23 February I'm off to that Orient - Notts Forest encounter. A rich and varied pitchside diet, indeed...

No comments: